About Us

History of Little River United Church of Christ

Little River UCC, founded in 1955 as the Congregational Christian Church of Fairfax County, met in what was then the Annandale Elementary School until the construction of the present building in 1959. Our church was the result of faithful work by people interested in establishing a church in Northern Virginia where all races could worship together. With that background, it is interesting that the present church property sits on land once owned by one of the largest slave holding families in Fairfax County prior to and at the time of the Civil War. Read more.

We have benefited from long-serving as well as inspiring and effective leadership – having only three senior pastors since 1955. In 1985 the congregation voted to change the name of the church to Little River United Church of Christ to reflect the fact that members came from both traditions that had merged to form the UCC: the Congregational Christian and the Evangelical and Reformed churches.

Consistent with our welcoming tradition, in 2001 we formally declared Little River to be Open and Affirming, explicitly expressing a welcome to people of diverse personal and religious backgrounds – without regard to race, gender, age, physical ability, or sexual orientation.

Little River and its members have played active roles in the Potomac Association and the UCC Central Atlantic Conference. Having benefited from the support of an established UCC congregation when it was first formed, Little River has actively supported other UCC new starts in Centreville and Fredericksburg.

Learn more about the history of the United Church of Christ denomination.